Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Confusion

It is amazing to me how many students, come the end of the semester, just stop showing up to class. There are two more weeks left and I have found in all my classes, there are students who have stopped attending. Some of them may have done this because they feel they have good attendance and can get away with it. Still there are a number of other people as well.

There are students who have missed a number of classes and they missed the past couple of weeks as well. Other students are on the cusps, and these are the students I would have guessed would be in attendance. That is not the case. Some people do not care, no mater what the consequence.

It is those students who are serious that are most surprising. They ask about grades, make it known they want an ‘A’ and then at this point in the semester just stop showing up. What is most surprising is a student who is taking the class with me for a second time. The student failed based on attendance. After failing the class, this same student asked to take the class with me again (that was a surprise).

For a good portion of the semester it appeared as though this student had turned over a new leaf. She was in class and participating. The past few weeks have, attendance has been sporadic and the past two weeks, the student has been in hiding, apparently. Once again, the student is in danger of failing.

I realize we all make our own decisions. I understand the decision of some people, I may not like it but I understand. Others, still confuse me.