Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

An Offer For A Hybrid Class

I have been offered to teach a hybrid class next semester and I am really not sure how I feel. It would be a public speaking class and for every two classes done on-line, there would be one session in the classroom, largely for students to give speeches in front of an audience.

Now, I know that on-line education, getting on-line degrees, is the wave of the future and I think there are a lot of benefits, it taught correctly. Still, it does take up a lot of the instructors time, again if done correctly. From my perspective, however, part of a public speaking class is getting over the nervousness, or learning how to deal with it. I believe that the best way to accomplish this is to get the students in class and have them speak, even on non-speech days. It is also important for students to get to know one another so they are more comfortable with each other.

The challenge that it presents is intriguing. As I said, I also believe this is what the future holds. I hear more and more students talking about this. I know there are websites connecting learners to on-line colleges. Perhaps, then, it would be advantageous to teach this class. I am still debating.