Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Here Come The Papers

I was talking briefly with one of my fellow adjuncts about grading. I indicated to him that my wife was surprised that I did away with a final this year in favor of a paper. I told the adjunct how my wife asked, “Isn’t it easier grading tests over papers”. The response he gave me I think does a nice job of summing up my feelings, how papers are so much more interesting to grade, to read, then a final exam.

I am still looking over the papers. Some students seemed to know exactly what I wanted in the paper. Others, seemed confused. I think I could have written the paper for a few of my students and they still would have found a way to louse it up.

I have not yet read all of the papers and I know it will take some time. I will probably refine the requirements over the next few semesters until I get exactly what I want. Still, while it will be time consuming, I am looking forward to reading what the students wrote.