Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Topics

In an earlier post, I discussed how refreshing it is to hear new topics discussed by students when giving speeches, and it is. This does not mean, however, that some of the ‘old topics’, to my mind, have gotten stale or are unimportant.

For instance, when a student gives a demonstration speech showing a life saving technique, such as how to deliver CPR, and I have had a number of students give such speeches, it does not get ‘old’. When a student gives a speech on medication, either the importance of it or how it is overused in society, it does not get old.

I have had students talk about various diseases, illnesses and sicknesses. Usually those too do not get old. I have heard speeches about Spina Bifida, Autism and Bipolar disorder, just to name a few. I have also heard people give speeches about Suicide. I know sometimes Manic depression can result in people committing suicide. So, to some extent, speeches can certainly be related.

I tell my students, when they speak, I want them to give me a list of references that they have used for the speech. I do this for a few reasons. One is, honestly, I want to make sure they have done the research and have correct information. This forces them to do a better job of putting together a speech. I also do it because I want to be able to learn more about the topics, at least sometimes. This provides me with more information the information.

For instance, knowing there are websites like bipolarcentral.com that provides information for people can be helpful to me. I like to check out the internet sites and learn more. I am certain that people who have family members, friends, or may themselves be Bipolar, like to know where they can go to get more information.

The topic picked can say a lot about the person and can teach a lot. It is important, especially since some students, no matter how many times you tell them not to, insist on discussing how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.