Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

You've Got To Be Kidding Me!!!

The saga continues. The student who did not hand in a paper or a journal ended up getting a ‘C’ in the class. Said student called me out in an e-mail telling me he deserved an ‘A’, although he could settle for a ‘B’. The student told me it was ‘Crap’ that he ended up with a ‘C’ and finished the e-mail by stating, “Thanks for nothing”.

So, let’s examine. The student wants me to raise his grade but insults me in the e-mail and blames me, not himself, for the poor grade. The student states he worked hard in my class. I would hope that all students work hard in my class. I understand the desire to see the hard work payoff, but students should always make the effort.

Finally, while stating he worked hard in my class, he still failed to turn in two items that are worth 20% of the final grade. If you take a 0 on 20%, it means the highest final average you can finish with is an 80, and that is only if you get a 100% on everything else.

What is frustrating is, I gave this student the extra time he asked for to finish these two assignments. He still never handed them in and now he wants to blame me for what he considers to be a poor grade. I guess it is easier to blame someone else for your own shortcomings than it is to accept responsibility.