Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Grades, Grades, Grades

As we come to the end of another semester, it is time to calculate final grades. Once again, I hear students complain that I grade too harshly. This is honestly a challenge. I know I am teaching an intro class, Introduction to Public Speaking. Now the people I hear speak, outside of class, are strong, capable speakers. Truth is, it would be easy to fall into a trap and be too harsh.

I do not think I am, however. I do not grade them nearly as harshly as I grade myself and I do not expect them to be able to deliver the same kind of speech I can. I think back to a speech I did when I was in college about the game of backgammon. It was a good speech and today I know I could do even more with that topic.

Internet access is a major factor. For instance, I recently learned that there is a plan to toss dice out of a helicopter during a tournament backgammon game, in an attempt to get into the Guinness Book of World Records. The things I could have done with that.

In addition, the fact that all sorts of games can be played on line is another factor. Whether it is playing poker online or backgammon online (or any other of a number of games), one can learn a lot about the game. First hand research is a wonderful tool.

I know the research I used to put into my speeches and still do. In fact, I will be giving a speech (not to my students) in the near future about poker. I have put a lot of time and energy into researching this topic and preparing the speech. Yes, if I were to hold my students to the same standard I use for myself, most would not pass.