Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Window Shopping

Now that the school year is over, it is fun to think about the items that I might like to get over the summer that would make next year easier for me. For instance, one thing that I keep telling myself I am going to look into as each semester ends is some kind of computer software that will allow me to speak and the computer will type what I say. I know such a product exists and they keep making it better but from what I understand, the problem is it takes a long time to train the software to recognize your voice.

I have also toyed with the idea of getting various items and seeing about giving them out to students at the end of the semester. A gift certificate to a restaurant or maybe a bottle of perfume or cologne to the person who is the most improved speaker over the course of the semester would be nice.

I probably won’t do that for a number of reasons including cost, wondering what the student who gets it might think and wondering what the administration might say. Still, I guess right now you could say I am window shopping for next year. I may not get anything, but it is fun to think about the possibilities.