Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Cost Of Adjuncting

It looks like next semester I will only be teaching two classes (pending enrollment) instead of three. I was offered a third class but, as has been the college’s approach during the fall semester, it is a Monday, Wednesday, Friday class. The other two classes are Tuesday, Thursday classes.

I toyed with the idea and ultimately decided against it. While it can be exhausting teaching three classes as an adjunct, that is not the real reason I turned it down. I could not handle having to be on the road five days a week.

I like driving but when you combine the ever increasing price of gas with the weather conditions I would be driving in, it adds up. In addition, one of the cars we own is being leased. When the weather gets nasty, I prefer this car as it has some extra weight behind it. Unfortunately, because of this, it gets worse gas mileage, and of course, I need to carefully watch how many miles are put on the car.

It is amazing how many factors have to be considered nowadays when getting a car, especially for an adjunct that travels 80 miles round trip each time he teaches. There are those who have suggested a used toyota. There are those who have suggested a used Chevrolet. There are those who say get a new car and there are those who say stay with a leased car.

I can see benefits and drawbacks, for me, with any option. I think it is a sign of the times, and even a little unfortunate, that so many things need to be considering when getting a car.