Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Party!

It is amazing to me how much a College class can be like a High School class. We are coming up on the end of the semester. The last three days of class were set aside for final speeches. Still, a number of my students wanted to know if we could have a party on the last day of class.

I explained that the three classes were for final speeches. Still, one of my students asked if all, or most of the speeches were set for the penultimate and antepenultimate classes, could we have a celebration on the last day of class. He even set it up so that when I asked who wanted to speak on each day, 18 of 21 students avoided the last classes session.

Against my better judgement, I agreed if they could get the speeches in we could have a celebration. On the positive side, I guess it is a good sign that they enjoyed the class and wanted to end with a party. In fact, by doing this, my guess is I will have better attendance, a higher percentage of people will be there than I normally get on the last day of class (even when I give a final on the last day). So, I guess things could be worse.