Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

You Did This To Yourself

It was not long ago that I was posting blog entries expressing concern that my second or third public speaking classes might not go, that enrollment would be too low. As I indicated in subsequent entries, both other classes went and for the first time, I am teaching three classes in one semester.

As the old saying goes, “Be careful what you wish for, it might come true”. Well, I am sure that when I start getting checks from the university, I will be pleased to have extra income (especially because my main job, the day job, is one where the boss pays me what he can, when he can, since there is not a steady stream of money coming into the business. I can go weeks, or even months without seeing a paycheck, hence the reason for teaching classes in the first place). Right now, however, I am definitely feeling the pressures, the stress.

I could be feeling the stress because I am teaching three classes. I could be feeling the stress because I take off for the Jewish Holidays and there are so many around this time of year it is hard to get into a routine. I could be feeling the stress because I interviewed for a full-time, non-teaching position with the college. I could be feeling the stress because for the first time in months, things are picking up at the day job and I am really the only person in during the day and cannot afford to be out of the office so much. Of course, when showing up to teach brings in a paycheck and being in the office does not, I cannot afford to give up the teaching.

No matter how you look at it, the bottom line is, I am dealing with stress. This is the time where I would be happy if I only had two classes. This is the time where I would be thrilled if I was only teaching three days a week (as I usually do in the Spring) instead of five days a week.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could choose when we got busy, be able to space out the busy times from one position to another so it does not get crazy with all the jobs right around the same time. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now but try and enjoy it.