Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Procrastinating Or Not, You Decide

Things are as I feared. I now have 21 speeches to critique and I have not yet started the process. Nine of them should be handed back tomorrow. Now, I can be a procrastinator, but I plead not guilty this time around.

The first nine speeches were given yesterday and I had hoped to start the process. After class, however, I had a doctor’s appointment. From the doctor, I had my “regular” job, I needed to get some things there. Last night I had a meeting for a club I am involved with. It is a public speaking organization and as a result, since that is what I teach, it is definitely worth my while to attend. At that meeting, it was decided that a few of our members needed to be contacted via e-mail. When I got home, I started doing that. In addition, I am trying to help my wife pack as the movers are coming this weekend to move us from our apartment to our new home. Since I pulled a muscle, or strained it, or did something, over this past weekend, my wife is not letting me do much packing, but I am trying to help a little.

Today, I had my second class to teach and I just realized that my third class, which starts this Tuesday, still needed a course syllabus to be completed, so I do that. Again, I still have to do some things back in the office for my main job. So, with today’s class another 11 students spoke, thus raising the total to 20 speeches that need to be critiqued.

I do like to get the speech critiques back to them As Soon As Possible, especially for the first speech, so it looks like after I finish helping my son with his homework tonight and put him to bed (I certainly should be doing this if I cannot do much to get ready for the movers. This will free my wife up to do those things), it looks like I will be up late, pounding the keyboard, typing up feedback for speeches.

This, to me, is when the life of an adjunct gets overwhelming. Trying to get all this in while still going into the office to take care of other things. Oh well, it could be worse. And, yes, typing this entry is therapeutic. It is amazing that something which takes up even more of my time can be so helpful when it comes to reducing stress.