Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Taking Off The Mirror

It is amazing the obstacles we tolerate so that we can do our jobs. My new house has a nice size, two and one half car garage. Since we get a lot of snow and cold weather, this is a good thing. Unfortunately, I have not yet learned how to gage the distance of things appropriately. I went to pull the car out of the garage the other day. I was certain I was clear of the sides of the garage but in backing out, I hit the side of the garage, taking off my side view mirror.

Fortunately it was not that expensive to fix and it did not even take long to get it done. It did, however, take me a couple of days to make the calls and get everything set up. If I were not teaching, things would not be too bad. My “Day Job” is about five miles away from my house. Teaching, however, takes me about 40 miles out of my way, every day.

Try driving 40 miles without a side view mirror on the driver’s side. It is not easy, even for those of us who do not think we use it that much. Now, try driving with a broken side view mirror. The shattered glass makes it even more difficult than driving a car with no mirror.

Here I am, driving for the past couple of days, with a side view mirror that does not work, heading to campus, making sure I get the job done (I am so dedicated- lol). Well, now it is all taken care of and fixed. The next step is to get me fix, to get the eyes checked (it has been too long since my last exam) and to see if I have a depth perception issue. All I have to do is find the time. Wish me luck.