Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day

Today marks the unofficial end of summer. There was a time that just about all schools started the day after Labor Day. Now, it is very haphazard. Some schools still start this coming Wednesday. Some schools start tomorrow and many schools, especially Colleges and Universities started this past week.

I started last week. Yes, it is nice to start a little earlier as that means that I will end a little earlier. Still, there are other schools that will not start until this week and will also end right around the same time I do. It does feel a little awkward to teach for a week and then turn around and have a day off. I think that there is something to be said for going back to the old way, all schools start the Wednesday after Labor Day.

Actually, in terms of days off, it is interesting how my Monday, Wednesday, Friday class differs from my Tuesday and Thursday class. On MWF, I have something like three or four days off for the semester. For my Tuesday, Thursday class, I only have one day off and that is Thanksgiving Thursday. I think that it would be advantageous to give students another day or two off for Tuesday, Thursday classes, just so they get a chance to recharge their batteries.

The college, however, does not see it that way, so I will be in class when I am supposed to be there. Hopefully students from all my classes will use today to get some extra rest and recharge and they will be ready to go tomorrow.