Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Learning Names

As the semester gets underway, I (like most teachers) face the task of learning the names of students. Being that I teach a Public Speaking class, even my large classes do not go over 22 students, so it is certainly doable for me to learn all the names). I have often wondered if it is easier for an adjunct like me to learn the names, or if it is easier for a full time teacher to learn.

As an adjunct, I teach fewer classes than a full-timer. Teaching at a community college, full-timers teach five classes. As an adjunct, I cannot teach more than three classes. This means it is easier for me because I have fewer students overall.

On the other side, a full-timer is on campus a lot more than an adjunct. This means that he or she sees the students around campus. Students can come say” hello”. Full-timers hold office hours (or more office hours) depending on the institution. Again, this allows students to spend more time with a professor early on and learn names.

I guess the truth is, it really depends on the individual teacher and not whether or not the individual is a full-timer or an adjunct. I am usually not so great when it comes to learning names. Still, I usually can learn the names of all my students within two to three weeks of the start of the semester. I think I am on pace to do that. I certainly hope so, as I feel I owe it to my students to not only know who they are, but to also learn there names.

I’ll let you know in another week or two if I succeeded.