Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Asing For It

It is discouraging when you have a student that is seemingly asking for a bad grade. We are currently in the middle of informative speeches and one of the students volunteered to speak on the second day of speeches. When it came time for this individual to speak, it was quite apparent that there was little preparation. Still, the speaker got up and spoke.

Unfortunately shortly into the speech, this individual realized just how unprepared he was. In his speech, we started getting expletive after expletive. I will try and give a student a little leeway if something like this happens. It does not happen often, but sometimes the nervousness of a speaker overtakes the speaker.

Unfortunately, this speaker after using it once, started using one every other sentence. I am far from a prude, but in a professional speech, that does not cut it. In fact, even the other students in class finally asked him to clean up his language. So, unfortunately there is not much I can do. I know some of the other professor would fail him. Some of the students in my class, if they were the teacher, would fail this student. I won’t do that. I understand the frustrations of speaking, of losing your place, freezing, and just in general having things not go the way you had planned. If a student gets up in front of the class, the student will get some credit for speaking. However, while I will not fail this individual, the grade will clearly be reduced because of the language.

There is never a dull moment in class.