Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Three's A Charm

Today started my third class. Up until now, I have never taught more than two classes in a semester. I have been offered, but enrollment for one of the three classes never took off, so I only did two of them. The two that I did would vary, but only two.

Of the three classes I teach, one is on the main campus. Any public speaking class on the main campus will go. A second class I teach is at one of the campus centers. I usually do this one once a week, on Fridays. This semester, based on when they wanted be on the main campus, I was switched to a Tuesday-Thursday schedule. This class sometimes goes and sometimes doesn’t. It is going this semester. The third class I teach is also at the campus center, but it is for high school seniors, in the different area schools. This one also sometimes goes and sometimes does not. This semester it is going.

Because the third class is with high school students, it usually starts a couple of weeks later and today was the first class session. Right now it feels overwhelming and that I have a bit too much on my plate. Still, I am going to do this, do it well and enjoy it.

I realize if I were not an adjunct then I would not have additional responsibilities to juggle. Still, doing three actually puts me in awe of the full timers at the community college who teach five classes.

Well, here is to a full, fun and exciting semester. Cheers!