Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Dealing With High-Schoolers

It is interesting how perceptions can change over time. When I first started teaching my class made up of high school seniors, I found the group to be difficult, it was hard for me to teach. It still requires some additional tolerance and I have to deal with certain issues that many other instructors do not, but I have grown to appreciate this class.

Many seniors come to my class and have had limited to no experience with college classes. I treat them like they are traditional college students. They have the freedom to come and go as they please; they call me by my first name; they are treated like adults.

When I start teaching this way, they seem to enjoy it. They give me the impression that they have never had another teacher that does some of the crazy things I do, and they enjoy that. So, this class has move from one of the ones I found most difficult to teach to one of the ones I enjoy the most. I like the course material, but I like the approach and the way they relate to what I am teaching. These days it seems like I am able to get a livelier discussion going with the group of high-schoolers. I guess this is my reward.