Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

A New Position?

I recently interviewed for another position where I teach. This is a full-time position and involves helping to run the program where high school students can get college credit. There are over 40 high schools that participate in this program. Those 40 plus schools are spread out over a 15 county area, so the person who has this position will stay quite busy.

I am not sure how it will play out but I know one of the classes I teach at the college is actually under the umbrella of this office, I teach a group of high school seniors. I have been doing this for the past three years or so. It has its challenges but it is also fun.

It is up to the hiring committee to decide if I am the best candidate. It is up to the hiring committee to decide if my experience teaching this class actually makes me more qualified to handle the position.

It is up to me to make sure that if I get the position, I continue to periodically teach one of these classes. It does not have to be done as frequently as I am doing right now but I need to keep touch with where I started from, with the grass roots. Doing this is helpful, I believe, because it will provide me with first hand knowledge of what is happening with the program and what challenges students and teachers involved with the program face. Of course this is just one arm of the office and staying involved with the program would not help me with the other arms of the program, but it would still keep me involved and I believe that is very important.

I will keep you posted as to what happen; if I get the job or not and if I do, how I will manage to stay involved with teaching.