Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's Starting Already

It is amazing how things already take shape. We have started the first graded speech of the semester. I tell students if they miss a speech I deduct five points and grade it on a harder scale as they have more time to work on the speech. I also let them know if they have a valid excuse AND they contact me before the next class, I can forgo the five point deduction but not the harder scale since they still have the additional time.

Well today I was supposed to have 6 speeches but one student was not there and I have not heard from this individual (yet). On Monday, there were also supposed to be 6 speeches but one student did not show and one who did show was not prepared. The one who was not there on Monday claimed that I was sent an e-mail but it just was not getting through to me. I never saw it.

The second student, while I am disappointed was not ready to speak, at least came up to me and said, “I forgot”. At first it seemed like there was an excuse coming and then the student stopped and said, “You know what, I just forgot”. That approach goes a lot further with me.

Still, usually it is not until the second or third graded speech that students start missing the scheduled speaking date. It is very frustrating when it happens at all, but for it to be happening this early in the semester is very depressing. Sometimes I just wonder about the dedication of today’s students.

I am always tempted to make students who give late speeches wait an extra session for my critique and grade. I am always tempted to provide less feedback as my protest statement. Thus far, however, my conscience has always won out and I have been unable to do that.

Hopefully the rest of the students are there, on time, to give the speech on the date that each signed up for.