Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, August 5, 2007

When Did I Become A Snob

When did I become a snob? One of the things I enjoy about teaching is it helps keep me young. It also helps keep me current with issues young adults are facing, with words and terms that are current, with the whole approach. In addition, although it has been more years than I would like to admit, it still does not feel like it was that long ago when I was in college.

College is a great time and, although I do teach, I think it is important for students to take advantage of certain situations outside the classroom. Of course, I do want them to also get their work done, especially the work for my class.

With all this being said, I find myself with a little more of an elitist’s attitude. I live in an apartment complex. Recently it has started catering more and more to a college crowd. I find myself preferring things the way they were, before there were so many college students living in my building. I find myself resenting the way they are very loud in the middle of the night, coming and going through the main door of the apartment building, with little regard for the other people here.

Perhaps the thing I find myself most amazed at is the amount of empty beer cans and bottles I find in the trash room. I am amazed because of how many they go through, as well as how much “money” they throw away because they dump the cans and bottles. They but them back in the cartons from which they came out, so it is not uncommon for me to pick them up out of the trash room and make about five dollars a week, it not more, on this. I realize $5.00 may not be a lot of money but I cannot imagine myself, when I was in college, taking a five dollar bill out of my pocket each week and leaving it for someone else to pick up.

Yes, it was not so long ago that I was in their shoes. Yes, I enjoyed it at the time and still enjoy hanging around with college students, to a certain degree, however, I am very glad, upon seeing all the things I notice in my apartment complex, that I am not a college student today.