Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Grass Is Always Greener

I was reading Sarah’s blog, Reflections on Teaching, and she has a very interesting post about politics at a community college. She talks about how as an adjunct she was immune from some of the politics and other happenings at the college. At the very least, she says she was gone from campus quick enough to avoid any of the teacher cliques. Now as a full timer, she gets to see it first hand, up close. She is facing the difficult situation of wanting to sit back and listen at meetings, as well as jump in feet first and voice her opinions to help make things better. I find the post interesting and I guess, to me, it points out that the grass is always greener on the other side. (It is not an easy situation, and I wish you the best of luck).

I would love to have the opportunity to teach as a full timer at the community college where I am at. I am guessing as an adjunct, Sarah felt much the same way. When you get the chance, you learn of the other issues that you were shielded from before. Obviously, each position has its own challenges.

This is not only true in the classroom. In society, we often wish we could switch places with someone else. For those people who actually get the chance, most find out that maybe they are better off not switching.

I would still love to become a full time professor. But, Sarah’s post has reminded me that I should always be glad with whatever I am doing, especially if I am having fun doing it. In addition, it is important to realize the challenges that other people, people who play different roles than we do, experience in their daily, professional life.

Thank you Sarah!