Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Getting Sleep

I had planned on attending a training session yesterday at the Community College where I teach. Planned is the key word. Now, it is a session I have been to for the past three years and while I always learn something new, I certainly have enough information to use the equipment and teach effectively, from previous sessions. Still, the Community College likes us to go, so I go.

Following a house closing and my mother-in-law being in the hospital with a fractured bone, my wife had gotten little sleep. In addition, she works overnights, so she had to be up all through the night. As a result, the only chance she would have to sleep would have been those few hours when I was at the training session.

I was able to cancel my attendance. I also got word from the administration that they have all the materials they need from me, so it should be all systems go. Now with a house, hopefully my wife will be able to get some more sleep during the day (not having to get anything ready for closing as well as being in more comfortable surroundings). As I mentioned, hopefully the house will help me become a more effective teacher.

While I would have liked to have been at the training session, I am glad I made the choice I did and that my wife was able to get some sleep. I am gearing up for the beginning of the school year and am almost ready and I am looking forward to it.