Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Getting Organized, By House Rules

We did the walk through of the house my wife and I hope to buy this weekend. Of course, there were some issues that came up, and at one time looked like it might lead to the whole deal falling through. In the end, we were able to reach a compromise and now it looks like it is all systems go to close this week.

There is no way we will be moved in by the start of the school year, not may school year which starts in a couple of weeks or even my son’s school year, which starts a week later. Still, the end of apartment living is not too far off.

One thing having a house means is more space. When things are all said and done, it may just be more space to put our junk, but right now the thought of being able to get organized a little better is certainly exciting. There is shelving in the basement and I want to claim a portion of this and get things set up, keeping my textbooks, video clips that I use and papers on one of those shelves. Of course, with my luck, the basement will probably get flooded and that stuff will be destroyed. Still, I really think that this will be a way to stay organized and keep things clutter free.

Of course, I may need to change things around. If I need to, I will. Still, I know, it will be easier to have things set up with much more space, and a basement. While it will take some time to have everything set, certainly I can start moving stuff in ahead of time and stop by there before I leave for class. This way, I can start getting things out of the apartment and into the house (which needs to happen), start organizing things the way I want and start freeing up some space in the apartment for the remainder of the time that we are here.