Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Am I Ready

The beginning of the school year is becoming more and more real. I know time has been ticking away but now I am getting my on-line materials set for the start of the year. Now I am putting my PowerPoint presentation that I use for the first class together. I do still have some time, but it is just a little over two weeks before I go back and start.

Of course there is the excitement and optimism. I wonder what the classes will be like. Last semester I had some classes that were great when it came to discussions. It kept the class interesting for everyone. It did add a challenge, at times, as I needed to wrap up one discussion to move on to another topic. Most of the time I did this successfully, but every so often I chose to let a discussion continue longer than I had planned because it seemed to interest everyone.

As a student, I always found that the breaks started and ended almost exactly when I needed them. School would be frustrating and I would need to get away and sure enough, a break came. Then, I would be enjoying the break, but I felt like I needed to get back to the routine of school and fortunately that feeling usually coincided with break ending.

Thus far I have felt that way as a teacher as well. I am not sure that I am fully ready for summer to end (or at least for it to be time for me to get back to the classroom), but then again, I do have two weeks and change. I have a feeling when that time is up, I will be ready. If I am not, I am sure you will “hear” me complain about it on this blog.