Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Up And Down And Up And Down And...

Today is D-Day. I will find out if my second class goes. This is the one that had as many as 11 students, but recently dropped to seven. As I indicated before, officially classes need ten students for them to go, however at the campus centers, they usually let them go with as few as eight.

I was excited when I had 11 and figured even with a few dropping (or being dropped if they did not pay), it would go. My mood took a down turn when last week my number of registered students dropped all the way to seven.

Yesterday I sent the dean of the campus center an e-mail just to check in and see what was happening (maybe they would let it go with seven). He told me the decisions would be made at a meeting slated for 3PM today (Wednesday) and I should check back the following morning (Thursday AM). He also let me know that there were a few students, three, who were in for placement at that very moment, and that might help me. Also, others might be waiting until the last minute to add the class.

I checked yesterday late afternoon and was thrilled to see an eighth student had added the class and I figured I was in great shape for the 3pm meeting. Once they decide to let a class go, it will go even if additional students drop it, or withdraw from it afterwards. Everything was great.

After checking it, I had plans to go out to dinner with the family. I got home and checked it again, thinking maybe someone else had added the class. Guess what? The person who added it, to become the eighth member of my class, was still listed as a student in the class, but another student who had been there for a while, dropped the class bringing me back down to seven, and again leaving doubts as to whether or not it will go.

I have been checking the website periodically, hoping to see an eighth student there, but so far it remains at seven. So, I have been up and down and up and … I am just exhausted. I will be happy when this process is over and hopefully I get word that the class is going.