Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

High School Students

The headache is gone and I am thrilled. I put the finishing touches on two of my three syllabi for the upcoming semester. The third class is an interesting one. It is actually the first one I started teaching and it is for high school students.

High School seniors from about six area schools can opt to take certain college classes. These particular classes are open to everyone who is a senior. There is no grade requirement, or prerequisites, if you are a senior, sign up and pay the money, you are in. Seniors get the opportunity to take the class for cheaper than they would at college and enter college with some credits.

The class is taught during the day at the college and students need to find a way to get to class. The college schedule is different from the area high schools (and usually each high school has a different schedule as well to make things even more confusing). Officially the students are responsible for being in class when I hold it, even if it is during a school break for them.

There are, however, challenges. Students need to leave early for a sports event or practice (I get that from my college students as well), something is happening at the high school (such as homecoming) and just the maturity of a high school student, are all challenges.

Most of the individuals I teach, however, are truly respectful of my and the material. They work with me and I think they get a good taste (albeit a small taste) of what college is like. I also get the opportunity of broadening my horizons and learning how to teach to a different group of students. The more diverse student body I can teach to, the more effective of an instructor I am.

Overall, I do enjoy this program and recommend it for anyone who is able to take advantage of it.