Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Old Students Saying "Hi"

Today was the first class of my Tuesday, Thursday class at the campus center where I teach. As I was walking from my car to the building (a very short walk in comparison to most campuses as this is more like a parking lot at an apartment complex), three former students (one from last semester and two from the semester before that) stopped me to say hello. I always enjoy it when students come up to me and say “Hello” because that means the enjoyed my class, or having me as a teacher, or more importantly they feel they got something out of my class.

One of my former students even told me that her cousin was in my class. That told me that she had obviously talked to her cousin about my class and about me. When I was a student these conversations had a huge impact on which classes I took. I presume things have not changed that much. Either the former student suggested to her cousin that she talk my class, or if it was after her cousin had already registered, she did not say things that made her want to drop the class.

I am not sure what other students in the class heard. On the whole, my quick read is it is a good group although a fairly shy group. My feeling is it will take awhile to get the students in class participating in discussions (but I think I am up for the challenge).