Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Using Our Daily Lives

When my students need to work on projects, I suggest to them that they work on something which interests them. If they are interested in the assignment, chances are they will do a better job. I also suggest, if they can, the combine it with other things they are working on for other classes.

The truth is, we as teachers, should do the same things. As adjuncts, we have a number of things that take place in our ‘regular’ job that can, and should work its way into our lessons. Working in the field of market research and having a background in surveys, helps me with my lessons. Sometimes a particular survey we are working on can inspire me, sometimes just surveys in general.

Of course, it is a good idea to take things from other aspects of our lives as well. When my son was first born and I was reading books to him, I used one of the stories to illustrate how important it is to have things discussed in a proper sequence. I mixed up the pages of a baby book and showed how even so simple a book as that is hard to understand when the pages are not read in order.

At other points I have used his stuffed animals or other things happening in his life, as he has gotten older, to illustrate various points. There are a wealth of opportunities that can be used. Right now, during the summer, I am cataloging the events taking place. I’m not sure how I will work them into my lectures, but I am pretty sure I will work things in like purchasing a new car, my son watching 12 hours of a Fairly Odd Parents marathon, my wife’s surgery (discussed in yesterday’s post) and my creating a blog during the summer. These are just some of the items that will work their way into my lesson plan. I encourage everyone to look for these types of daily occurrences in your life and work them into certain projects or assignments you need to do.