Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Summer's Flying By

Probably like most professors, even though it is summer, I still check my campus e-mail at least once a day. I am guessing this is true of most adjuncts, most full-timers and especially those professors teaching over the summer (I certainly hope it is true of the last group). Most of what comes in to my e-mail is stuff I can just delete but still, some of it is important. In addition, by checking the e-mail, I keep it from piling up in my inbox.

One thing which comes to me daily is the summer menu. For summer, the menu is scaled down but for those who are on campus, they still have food available. The director of food services usually puts a cute message in with the e-mail and it actually has me looking forward to check it and see what her ‘thought for the day’ is. Yesterday, she pointed out that this is the last full week of July.

Where has the time gone. July is the last full month of summer break. Gone are the days where school started in September, after Labor Day. For me, school starts on August 27th this year. Part of me is ready for the year to start but part of me would like there to be a little more time.

I wanted to use the summer to relax and recharge my batteries a little. To a degree I have done that. Still, it always seems like there is so much time when the spring semester ends and never enough time by the point the summer ends.

Truth be told, this is something I cannot control, so I might as well take it in stride and just look forward to the beginning of the next semester (and I still do have a month to procrastinate, I mean do the things I still want to get done before the school year starts again.)