Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Gas Prices

The start of my semester is still more than six weeks away yet I find myself watching prices at the pump. A local station, close to my house, just dropped their prices three cents. It is now the only one in the area, that I know of, which is a name brand gas, that is less than $3.00.

Of course gas prices will fluctuate and quite possibly go up before the start of the semester. Still, in order to teach five days a week a week, I will probably be filling up with gas twice a week. It is amazing how something like this occupies so much of my time during the summer.

Growing up, summertime was for family vacation, usually by car, as we would travel throughout the United States. In fact, by the time I was 18, I had been to 48 of the 50 states. At that time, despite how much gas we used, I never thought much about it. Of course I did not have to pay for it, but that is a different story.

I remember one summer when we left, the average price for gas was 55.9 and when we returned it was around 75.9 cents per gallon. That was quite a jump, but I will gladly take those days back. Of course, I understand that prices increase, that anything which was 55 cents when gas was that price now costs more. Still, gas prices have gone up significantly more than other things.

It is a good thing I teach for the love of it, as opposed to the money. Actually, the money is helpful and it would be even more helpful if someone could do something to lower gasoline prices. It would also be nice if I did not have to drive so far to teach. I might actually be able to find a local institution where I could teach, but I do tend to be very loyal. The college where I am at now has been very good to me and I appreciate it and am loyal to them.

So, I guess for now, I am stuck just watching the gas prices and moaning and complaining when I do not like how high they are.