Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A System Crash

Well, I picked up my copy of the Microsoft upgrade from campus today (discussed in yesterday’s post). I am really looking forward to checking it out only I am going to have to wait. I have the program, but I do not exactly have a computer to put it on. You see, my computer, a Compaq, running Windows Vista has not been feeling well. The computer was purchased 60 days ago, but for the past 30 or so, it has been crashing, doing a physical memory dump.

It did take me some time to finally get around to calling the company, as it did reboot after each crash and let me work on it. I was told that I needed to do a system restore and it would take care of all my problems (I still have my doubts about that). I tried making a set of recovery discs, but the computer kept having problems after I put the second of 11 CD’s in to make the recovery set. After about 10 minutes it told me the disc was no good and I should try another blank disc. After going through four different blank discs, technical support told me they would create a set and send them to me. Those came yesterday evening.

I called today to restore the computer. Well after running the CD’s and going through about an hours worth of work, it gave me a message that it was now rebuilding the information, which could take up to two hours and not to shut down or stop it in the middle.

After about another hour, the monitor went black and stayed that way for about ten minutes. The technician told me to pop out the CD and try again. I did, but apparently after you use a recovery disc once, you cannot use it again. So, they need to send me another set of recovery discs.

I now have a computer that I cannot boot up, it just continually runs boxes across a welcome screen, and one that I cannot reset until the new discs come, so by following the instructions given to me, I know have a computer that is unable to be used and I am not very happy.