Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Question of the Day

I get in my daily e-mail a list of strange stories currently going on. I usually get this three time a week and I get it during the school year as well as during the summer. I actually use these for my class.

Teaching public speaking I have learned that students actually like the opportunity to speak in a non-graded environment. As a result, I try to give the students a chance to speak at every class session. When there is no test and no formal speeches going on, I give them a choice of two or three items and one by one have them come up to the front of the room and give their reaction. For this questions I usually use the e-mails that discuss strange happenings. Right now I am stocking up on these e-mails.

This whole approach came about as the result of student requests. When I was doing a teaching assistantship while obtaining my masters degree, I asked my students at the end of the semester for their thoughts and how they felt I could improve the class. A few of them said they would have liked a number of opportunities to speak in non-graded environments so when they were being graded, they would feel more comfortable. I thought this was a good idea and was and still am always willing to listen to my students. If they make a suggestion I agree with, or understand and think makes sense, I try to adopt it.

Over the years, when I tell my students that they will be answering my, "Question of the Day" during most classes, they groan, object and protest. Yet, at the end of the semester my students tell me how much of a help this was and indicate they regret I did not give them even more of an opportunity to do so.
So right now I am busy gathering this material, sorting and saving it so when the school