Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Delegating

The saying goes, “If you have a job that needs to get done, give it to a busy person”. There is a lot of truth to that statement as people who are busy are good at delegating, prioritizing and organizing. I hope this is the case.

I am involved with an organization and I took on one of the vice presidential positions, the one that requires the most amount of work. Right now I am able to handle things and feel pretty comfortable. This actually has been a little concerned.

Once the school year starts, I will probably being teaching three classes, certainly two. I need to make sure I have time to do the things at that point. It is easy to get comfortable with doing things now and just leaving them. I need to make sure that I am getting my committees in order, NOW! I need to make sure I am delegating responsibilities, NOW! I need to make sure that things continue to run smoothly.

This is really true of everything. We need to learn to get things organized, to get things set up, not when we run into trouble, but before that happens, to make sure it does not.

There is, however, another important part to this. The person who is delegating needs to oversee things. I have often heard people claim that they just delegated a responsibility away. With no follow up, however, it is easy to envision that job not getting done. This is my challenge. I need to make sure that I have a good, strong team in place, but I also need to make sure that my team is doing what they are supposed to do. I urge everyone to do the same. Try and get things set up when you have the time, follow through, and you will notice whether it is in regard to adjunct teaching, or some other responsibility, you will get things done.

Good luck to you in your attempts and good luck to me in my attempts.