Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Seeking Help!

I confess, I am addicted to checking course enrollment for my classes. I should not be. I know that. Still, I enjoy teaching and of, course, the money is always appreciated. A full time professor does not need to watch as his or her classes will go, or if they do not, that individual will be given other classes.

I like to get things set ahead of time. Of course, it can be frustrating getting stuff set for a class only to have that course cancelled due to low enrollment. That has happened to me in the past. On the other hand, I do not want to wait until a week before the semester starts (sometimes they wait that long before making a decision) before getting things set.

As a result, I found myself logging into the college’s website numerous times over the course of a day to check and see if the enrollment numbers have changed. Realistically, I know checking once a week makes sense. I do not need to be so up to date, yet this just points out the society in which we live. We can have information up to the second, and we want it because we can.

I have tried to cut down. I will try again. Still, every time I resolve to do this, within a day or so, I found myself back at the website seeing what my enrollment numbers are. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I certainly could use them. I hope I am not alone in being addicted to the website, to checking for updated information, and I hope your thoughts and suggestions will help not only me, but others in a similar situation.