Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Monday, July 9, 2007

Praising Full-Timers

Earlier today while driving I was listening to a CD of Alan Sherman. I enjoy his comedy and satire. As I was listening it occurred to me that so many of the comedians and satirists are standing on the shoulders of giants. These giants have paved the way for today’s people to do what they do. Alan Sherman and Tom Lehrer are two greats who lead the way for people like Weird Al Yankovic and others. Of course there were people before Sherman and Lehrer as well who paved the way for them.

This is true in just about all walks of life. Those of us who are working, who are involved with organizations or social movements, owe a debt of gratitude to those who came before us, those who enable us to do what we do. Often times we do not even know who these individuals are, or we have never met them. Still, so many did so much for us.

It is that thought which leads me to stop and appreciate what the full-time teaching staff have done, how they have helped me and opened doors for me. Yes, in many ways adjunct are still outsiders. Yes, it is true adjunct do not get the same benefits that full-timers do and we are not treated the same.

Still, we teach because we love it. The institutions thrive and succeed because there are full timers who care. Some of these full-time teachers are the ones we turn to when we have a problem or need to know something. Yes, I as an adjunct am standing on the shoulders of giants. There are certain things I do not like about the teaching profession and the attitude of some of these individuals. Still, they have enabled me to do what I want so I need to take a moment and thank them and wish them the best.

I suggest we all take a moment to appreciate what others have done for us.