Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

My Car Says 'Thanks'

The other day, my car looked at me and thanked me. Over the course of a semester, I put a lot of miles on the car. I usually am on the road either three days or five days and I put about 100 miles on the car, round trip, when I teach.

The car I am currently driving is a leases vehicle and we paid to put 15,000 miles annually on the car. Certainly putting 300 to 500 miles a week on the car adds up and makes it difficult to stay within the allotted mileage. Then I think that I am doing this for an adjunct position and that with gas and mileage, I am probably losing money, but that is a different story.

During the winter break, I try to reduce the amount I use the car and bring the mileage more in line with what it should be. Still, this is usually just about a month off, and while it helps, it does not get me to where I need to be. The summer, however, is three months off. That more than helps and I am hoping it will actually get me to where I need to be. Since this is the first summer I have experienced since leasing the car, I have nothing to base it on, but I am hoping it will get me on track.

In any event, while I am trying not to use that car much this summer, I still need to use it a little to keep it fresh. This morning when I got into the car, it popped the hood on its own and said “Thank You”. I was a little surprised, but appreciated its manners and appreciated the fact that it recognized what I was trying to do.

Now, if it can only teach those manners and courtesy to my students!