Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Textbooks

As I am preparing for the upcoming semester, I am reviewing the textbook that I use. I do this before the start of every semester. I like the textbook I use. It is a good textbook, well laid out and covers the material appropriately and effectively.

The problem, if you can call it that, is as an adjunct, I am told what book to use. Yes, it makes sense that everyone who teaches this class use the same book. Yes, it is a textbook that I like. Still, it sends a message if adjuncts are asked for input, or perhaps more appropriately, it sends a message when their input is not sought.

I would like to think that I am a valuable member of the staff. I would like to think that I have done right by the college and they appreciate what I give them and my knowledge and ability. I think it would send a positive message if colleges looked to seek input from adjuncts. I think it might be a good idea to have them on committees. Of course the problem is adjuncts are there for just a limited time and often do not want to take on added responsibilities. Perhaps there might be a way to offer a small stipend.

No matter how they approach it, I think they should do what they can to solicit input and to tap into the resource known as adjunct teachers.