Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Personality

I am currently on a break at work and things today have been going really well. It is amazing how talkative people are today, while still remaining all business and giving me quick, concise answers to my questions. Having the day progress like this reminded me that, it is not only about my skills but about the skills and effectiveness of the people on the other end of the conversation. It is kind of like teaching a class.

As an instructor, I can do many things and I have my own style and way of doing things. It is, however, often the students, the personality of the class as a whole, that determines how effective the class will be. Today, it has been the personalities of the individuals I have talked with, next month it will be the class as a whole. Hopefully the class will be just as good as the people I have talked with today.