Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bad Moods

The other day I was in a bad mood and when people asked me to do things that normally I would have gladly done, it just rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t want to help anybody. It is amazing how our perception can be completely different based on our mood.

I try not to grade speeches or assignments, or even write critiques, if I am in a bad mood as it would not be fair of me to grade students at that point in time. Of course, if the student is the one who put me in a bad mood, it could be different. The point is, we all have our different moods and we need to do what we can not to let bad moods, or concerns or anything else, negatively affect us when we are dealing with other people.

Fortunately, for the most part, I am in a good mood and enjoy what I do but it is important to remember, it is not always them, sometimes it is us.