Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Modernizing

As I am revising my syllabus for the fall semester, a flood of speeches previously given come rushing back. For me, this is actually a very enjoyable part of teaching and preparing syllabi, I get to relive speeches given years ago. It amazes me how many speeches from years gone by I actually remember. Since the demonstration speeches are the first ones to be delivered, right now those are the ones I recall.

I had a student who delivered a speech about how to make your own dress for a formal occasion. She was a fashion major and she argued that she believed people could make a dress in less than 24 hours. She put the theory to the test and made a prom dress overnight. That is one skill I have never even attempted to master.

Another student delivered a speech about how to take care of a garden. That one, at the time, was not one that I thought I could use but a few years later, when I purchased a house, I found some of the knowledge coming back, and very helpful.

As a homeowner, any speech related to home improvement and decorations now has special interest to me as I wonder if I can actually use some of the information in working around my house. Whether it is looking at kitchen sinksand looking to modernize my kitchen or learning about installing a ceiling fan, I find I wonder if I will ever be able to do these things on my own.