Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Listening To Music

It is always exciting when family members reach new milestones. My nephew just finished registering for college classes for the first time and I found this very exciting. Perhaps, because I teach college courses, it appeals to me more than most. Still, I love hearing the tales about student experiences, especially when it comes to registering for classes..

My sister told me how he has to take a class called, “Listening to Music”. It is a music appreciation class but the title of the class certainly makes it sound like a joke. Still, music appreciation classes can be some of the most important classes, and difficult ones, students can take (and I struggled to pass one that I took). Perhaps if I took some child music education classes, I would have had an easier time.

I know videotapes like the Baby Mozart programs are said to be very helpful as anytime you have children music programs, it makes things easier for people as they get older. In fact, a good music program is said to help children become better adjusted, be more open to diverse ideas and actually get better grades in school, as well as be more appreciative of music. This is why some adults actually get children involved in baby music classes. So, while we may make fun of the name of the class, we should not lose sight of how beneficial such classes can be.