Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Frustration

As a New York Met fan, this has been a frustrating baseball season. The season has been riddled with injuries, the team isn't playing well and I, as a fan, am just frustrated. Learning to deal with frustration, to overcome adversity, is important for anyone to learn. Obviously, dealing with the frustrations of my baseball is extremely minor, compared to some of the things others have to deal with.

Sometimes, I have to deal with students who have dealt with, or are dealing with, real tragedies and difficulties. A couple of years ago, I even had a student who told me she was contemplating suicide. At the time, I blogged about the fact that the college doesn't train individuals how to deal with such situations.

What is still amazing to me is, how much information one can get on the internet and how one can become self trained on an issue. There are people who run their own internet businesses, teaching others how to do things. Of course, doing something like that would require needing some kind web hosting. But, even information of that kind, needing dedicated server hosting, can be found on the internet. One can learn things about security issues and so much more.

So, the next time you need to get information from the web, do the necessary research, but take a moment to think about the hard work the person who put the information out there had to go through to make it possible for you.