Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Carol Burnett Said It Best

I’m so glad we had this time together,
Just to have a laugh or sing a song
Seems we just get started and before you know it
Comes the time we have to say ‘So Long’.

Some of you might remember this signoff song that Carol Burnett sang at the end of The Carol Burnett Show. Interesting that I had this song running through my head this past Thursday. That was the last day of the summer class I was teaching. Since it was just a five week, it seemed like we had just got started and now it was time to say ‘so long’.

The truth is, the course was not as difficult of exhausting as I thought it would be. Sure, every Thursday was for speeches. It was a lot of things crammed into one day, into one session (as we had to do more than just speeches on Thursday), into five weeks but I managed.

More importantly, the course seemed to work for the students. I asked the students for feedback at the end of the semester. I let them know this was the first time I was teaching a summer class and I wanted and needed their feedback to see if I needed to make any changes. There were minor suggestions and the students seemed to disagree with each other. What they all seemed to agree on was the five weeks moved quicker than they thought it would and that they enjoyed the class (always nice to hear).

I still like it better when it is a 15 week course, but all things considered, it went well and, if they are going to offer it and pay someone to teach it, I am happy to be the one teaching the course. And, the early returns seem to indicate they will be offering two sessions of Public Speaking next summer and they want me to teach one of those sections.