Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Guess Work

The fall semester is closing in. Less than one full month before teaching resumes. I am looking forward to the start of the new semester. I recently checked on line and noticed that there are 16 people registered for my class. This actually has me pleasantly surprised.

It is not uncommon for me to have a full class as Public Speaking is either required or recommended for just about every discipline offered. This, however, is only true of classes I teach at the main campus. The ones I teach at a campus center tend to get fewer students. This coming semester, I am only teaching classes at the campus center so I would anticipate fewer students. I have newer had 16 students take a class with me at the campus center. Right now, there is only room for six more students.

While it is always exciting to see that students are registering for your class (at least I feel that way), because it means that the class will go as well as the fact that based on conversations among students, you are developing a positive reputation, it does also present a challenge. My syllabus has to be submitted in advance and I block out a certain number of days for speeches. This involves guess work as there is uncertainty as to how many students will need to deliver a speech. Somehow I have always found a way to make this work but there have been times I have had to do some fancy footwork since I have either allowed too many days for speeches, or not enough. I think I may have to deal with that challenge this semester. Still, it is a challenge I welcome.