Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Get Ready, Get Set, Go



The summer has been enjoyable but it has also been slow. The truth is, I would have liked to have had a summer class or two for a couple of reasons. It would have helped provide a little more structure and that would have been helpful. Also, honestly, it would have been nice to take in a few extra dollars over the course of the summer. Still, there are ways that one can survive, even if you are hoping to get some extra income. For instance, I recently learned about business cash advance .

A business cash advance is basically a way to receive cash in exchange for the purchase of a small portion of future Visa and Mastercard receipts. So, if you are counting on a class and it does not come through or you just aren’t offered certain classes, perhaps this can help you.

I remember listening to my Father talk every summer, concerned to see if his summer classes would go. In the winter, he would wonder if the mini-courses would go. As computer stopped being the wave of the future and became the method of the present, I used to help my father. He never quite mastered the college websites.

I used to get a call from my father, almost on a daily basis and he would ask me to check his classes, the registration numbers, where the students lived (in case in wanted to try and get a ride in from one of his students) and all sorts of other information. It was always fun watching him in the “Ready, Set, Go” mode of checking classes and getting set for the upcoming semester. (As a side note, now I find myself doing the same things he did—only I can navigate the college websites).

Perhaps Dad would not have worried so much if he knew what programs were available. Even if he never used them, just knowing they were there might have given him piece of mind. Although, truth is, he probably still would not have changed his approach.