Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Different Perspective

As I have mentioned in some previous posts, I am involved with a Toastmaster organization. Recently, we had a joint meeting with one of the other Toastmaster clubs that meets in the area. It can get frustrating, confusing and exhausting, it is a lot of hard work to pull it off, but they are always enjoyable and they teach us a lot. We each have an opportunity to learn a slightly different way of doing things.

It is that approach that has helped me during my time as an adjunct instructor. First off, I talk with other adjuncts and hear the issues with which they have to deal and how they handle these matters. I hear the frustration and enjoyment and have "Borrowed” some ideas from them.

I have also talked with other instructors who teach Public Speaking. It is always interesting to get a different perspective. I take what I hear and balance it with my own feelings and perspectives and perhaps make some changes. Certainly it is a lot of work but it can be rewarding.

One thing which, as of yet, I have never done, is sit in on a class of another Public Speaking’s instructor. I think that would be fun and helpful. If I could sit in when speeches are given and talk with the teacher afterwards to find out what grade was given and why and see how, or if, we differ, I think it would be helpful. Perhaps this is the year to talk with others and see if that can be arranged.