Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gas Prices Coming Down

It is amazing to me that I am looking forward to seeing gas prices come down to ONLY four dollars a gallon. Since I do a lot of driving and it will be increasing once the school year starts, it is good to see gas pricing coming down. Still, all I can think about is how it is all in the presentation.

If I told you a year ago that come the start of the 2008 Fall semester, gas prices would be $4.00 a gallon, you probably would have been sick. Maybe, based on what has bee happening to gas prices, you would have believed me but you would not have been happy.


Now, because gas prices were as high as $4.50 a gallon, all of a sudden we are thrilled that they will be coming down to ONLY four dollars. I remember a few years ago how we were sick that gas prices were closing in on $2.50. I remember the anger that occurred when gas prices went over $1.00.

What do we do now? We whine and complain but we pay the price. I am no different. That is what I do.

Still, the lesson in this is that based on how we portray situations, based on the presentation, we can perceive a negative as a positive (or vice-versa). That is something my public speaking students should keep in mind when they have to give a speech. It is a good thing to remember when it comes to persuasive speaking and, ultimately, it is something that should be remembered by students in almost any classroom situation.