Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Olympics

It is amazing the way people mark time. It seems like it was only a year or two ago when I had a student who was a swimmer and the Olympics and Michael Phelps were key topics for his speeches. He did a nice job with those speeches.

Obviously, those speeches were given in a class I taught four years ago, the last time we had Olympic games. I wonder, as I get set to start the new semester, am I going to have anyone who is going to want to use the Olympics as a topic. Will I hear speeches about Michael Phelps again, or maybe about another athlete. I heard that as of a recent check, while Michael Phelps was the number one search on Google for Olympic names, the name that has the second most hits out of all of those competing in the Olympics is gymnast Alicia Sacramone. Perhaps Sacramone will be the topic of some upcoming speeches.

The one thing I will stress to my students is, and I do this every year, it is important they use a topic in which they are interested for their speeches. This makes all the difference in the world when delivering speeches.