Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Working For The Weekend

The old song, okay I guess not that old, says, "Everybody's working for the weekend". Well, as the new semester gets set to start (for me it is this coming week), I know that feeling, or perhaps, more appropriately it is, "Everybody's working for the Holidays".

I can almost guarantee that when I walk into the building on my first day, someone, maybe a student, maybe a secretary, maybe even the dean, is going to tell me how many more days to go before Christmas vacation. This seems to be par for the course teaching where I do and, it is even part of the camaraderie and fun and games. Everyone takes this kind of thing in good spirits. Still, it does point out that we focus on the Holidays. With that in mind, I wonder how many people can tell me how many more days until Black Friday?

Still, Black Friday is not what it once was. With websites like iblackfriday.com, one can now go shopping without leaving the comfort of home. It used to be that you had to fight the crowd, get out at 4 AM (or earlier). In fact, once a friend who had children dragged me out to go shopping with him (it was before the days that I had children). I decided right then and there, it was not worth it. Now, computers and the internet make it much easier. Perhaps it is worth it today.

Whether it is a department store, an office supply company or a Disney Store, today you can look for the items you want on line. Avoiding the crowds and not having to use the gasoline could definitely make the experience worthwhile. Now, I just have to remember to put a little of the money aside so I will have it when I want it and then I too can be working for the Holidays.