Teaching as an adjunct can be a lot of fun. It is also challenging. As I have encountered a number of situations, I realize such a blog can be helpful, both to me and to others.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

McCain, Gustav And Class

It is amazing how Gustav can affect so many things in so many different ways. First of all, the people of Louisiana, some still feeling the effects of Katrina, are bracing for another, potentially devastating, storm. As someone who teaches public speaking, I think how this can be used in a demonstration speech, explaining how hurricanes are formed, I think about how this can be used in an informative speech, telling us about either one of those storms and I think about how it can be used as a persuasive speech, talking about the way we should protect ourselves from a hurricane or what government should be willing to do before, during and after such storms.

I think how Gustav is changing the way John McCain and the Republicans will hold their convention and I wonder if it may actually help John McCain. Much to McCain’s credit, he has said that they need to act first as Americans and then as Republicans. With such a potentially devastating storm coming in, it could be necessary to take emergency measures and McCain stands ready. His willingness may actually cast him in a better light (much like 911 cast Guilliani in a good light). I am not suggesting that McCain is happy about the hurricane, only that if he handles things correctly, it could actually get him more votes than a “normal” convention would.

Regardless of how it plays out, I will be using it in some way during class this semester. In some way that means I am benefiting from others misfortunes, and I truly do not like to do that. Still, it is important to use events that are current when trying to come up with examples for a class. I would rather that Gustav was not occurring and not threatening to do damage to anyone. I have no control over that, however, so I will use the cards I am dealt (much like McCain).